Broadstairs Cricket Club

2nd XI Broadstairs CC v Gravesend CC

2nd XI Broadstairs CC v Gravesend CC

Broadstairs made it 3 wins out of four, easing past Gravesend with some excellent individual batting performances following an earlier period of controlled bowling.

Winning the toss and electing to bat the visitors from Gravesend went about their task in a very cautious manner, advancing their tally to just 32 in the first 15 overs. Special mention to Callum McCormick (10-2-0-15) who gave away barely anything during this early period. Nathan Fox (5-1-1-19) got the first breakthrough, surprising the opposition with a straight one after a series of wides and trapping Patel LBW. When Oli Frewin (10-2-1-20) took over up the hill, Gravesend looked no more likely to accelerate their scoring and two further wickets fell before the drinks interval: Haider, feathering one to Lee Hewitt off Oli Frewin's bowling and then Bhoomla offering a catch to James Bond off Ashley Ellison (10-1-1-31) in his first over. As the teams reflected on the state of play during the break and with Gravesend on 63-3, it was looking to be a low-scoring day.

Gravesend skipper Hinks, however, had different ideas and for the next 25 overs, the left-hander put on a display of aggressive hitting, riding his good fortune along the way when he was dropped on the boundary mid-way through his innings. Hinks and opener Khalid constructed a lengthy partnership and by the start of the 46th over, they had put on 83 runs. Khalid eventually succumbed, skying one to Fox off Matt Frewin’s bowling and this wicket triggered a succession of wickets for Matt Frewin (10-0-4-51) including two caught-and-bowled. Hinks continued to score freely at the other end and by the completion of the 50 overs, the score was 186-7, Hinks (71) finally holing-out to Lewis Hewitt off Frewin’s bowling in the final over.

The Broadstairs reply began at break-neck pace with the father-and-son combination of Lee and Lewis Hewitt putting on 18 runs in the first three overs. Lewis Hewitt was dismissed in the 4th over, beaten for pace by Wells and Fox joined Lee Hewitt at the crease. Together, they put on a masterclass in early-overs batting, defending when necessary, punishing the loose ball and running well between the wickets. Hewitt reached his half-century but would be dismissed for 53 soon after, Mason-Myres taking a good catch in the deep off the bowling of Ghous. Josh Marshall was caught behind before his innings was able to get going and he was replaced by Matt Frewin. At drinks, the score was 110-3 and with both Fox and Frewin looking settled, and plenty of batting still to come, Broadstairs were favourites to win. Fox (32) departed three overs later and Brian Day, playing in his second match for the side, joined Frewin. This period of the innings saw the scoring rate drop with the pair adding just 7 runs over 6 overs and the pressure on Broadstairs started to build.  Eventually, they had to start taking some risks and Day was run out, going for a quick single and Andy Marshall took to the crease. He and Frewin looked determined to see things home and this they managed with some ease, reaching the target with 5 overs to spare, Marshall finishing on 27*. The final piece of drama was provided by Frewin who was facing with 1 run needed for victory and his own score on 44. With his team-mates willing him to hit a six to complete his half-century, Frewin didn’t let them down and lofted a drive towards the clubhouse, clearing the ropes by a matter of inches.

The win means the newly-promoted are riding high at the top of the table, albeit having played one match more than their nearest rivals.  They travel to 4th place Beckenham next week, hoping to continue their excellent early-season run of form.